Thursday, October 9, 2008

PRODUCT REVIEW - John Frieda Frizz Ease Overnight Repair Creme Serum



I have always had hair that tends to dry out like crazy. It's thick, it's pretty coarse, and it's curly, which is the part I hate, so that means I do a lot of blow drying and flat-ironing even though I know it's going to make the situation worse. I'd rather have dry hair than that huge hair (I can't seem to control the curl either, so I just squash it out). Despite that though, I must admit that, well, my hair has been, for the last ten years or so, my crowning glory - long, red, full, Celtic warrior princess hair. The kind of hair people stop you on the street to compliment, the kind of hair that little kids grab on the bus, the kind of hair that big kids grab in the.... well, I'm getting off point here. My point is, I have been proud of my hair, okay?

So, when I started seeing a lot of hair in the shower drain, I started to worry. And when I looked in the mirror a few weeks later and discovered that a whole chunk on the left side of my head was a LOT shorter than the rest, a sure sign of serious breakage, I panicked. I knew that it was going to be a while before I could get some of the high-end hair stuff that I usually bought in times of extreme hair drought because Winston-Salem, NC is NOT known for its shopping - I'd have to order online and then wait (I was already paying out the nose for the products themselves, so there was absolutely no way I was going to pay for express shipping).

In the meantime, I went to the drugstore to see what I could rustle up. I got some shampoo and conditioner (Tresemme Thermal Recovery - I'll review that in a different entry, because that turned out to be a great buy for me too), and then, on my way out of the aisle, this overnight stuff from John Frieda Frizz Ease caught my eye. I was particularly interested because I'd had a sample of something similar from Frederic Fekkai once, and it had done a pretty good job, but was something like $60. But the Frizz Ease version was just $9.99 - I figured that it couldn't hurt, and grabbed it.

That night, I pumped some serum out into my palms and smoothed it through dry hair, like the instructions said. This serum is creamy, but not thick, and it is easy to work through the hair. I focused on my ends, but made sure as much hair as possible was covered. After going about the rest of my nightly routine, I touched my hair and was pleased to find that my hair was actually absorbing the serum - the serum was not simply sitting on top of each shaft making it greasy. I went to bed hoping for the best.

In the morning, when I was awake enough to remember I put the Frizz Ease night serum through my hair, I touched my hair again. More absorption! In fact, it already felt like my hair was softer. I also checked my pillow, and was pleased to see that the claim that this stuff wouldn't get all over the bedding was accurate. After washing and conditioning my hair like usual, I was even more amazed. My hair wasn't completely healed, but its shine was coming back, it was crazy soft, and the frizz was definitely reduced... A LOT. In fact, I feel that the John Frieda version worked better than the expensive Fekkai version!

It's only gotten better ... the more you use this stuff, the better your hair gets. It's recommended to use it 2-3 times a week, but I imagine you can use it every day if you want.

That does lead me to the only drawback to this stuff that I can find... the bottle isn't big enough, at least not for someone like me who has to coat handfuls of thick hair that reaches her mid-back. However, I've gotten six uses out so far - don't really know how many are left in there, but to be honest, those six uses have totally transformed my hair, so I really don't care if that's all I get. At $9.99, I'll just get another one.

Bottom line is - this stuff is incredible. Run, don't walk, to your neighborhood drugstore and pick some up. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: