- Mineral concentrate powder contains 72 micro and macro minerals. It is extracted from untouched mineral deposits from the earth estimated to have been formed during the Triassic-Jurassic periods, approximately 150 to 200 million years ago. It is the most complete source of naturally occurring micronutrients known to exist. Mineral concentrate increases cell turnover, is anti-inflammatory and nourishing to the skin. It brings "Mineral Makeup" to a new level... a level in which your minerals are in truly rare form.
- Silk powder benefits your skin with 18 amino acids and is a natural moisture balancing product. Silk can absorb or release moisture as temperature or humidity changes.
- Zinc oxide is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Ascorbic Acid, or Vitamin C naturally stimulates your skin's collagen growth, brightens your skintone, increases cellular turnover, and aids in the reduction of fine lines.
- Ectoin(TM) is a highly advanced anti-aging ingredient that functions on multiple levels as a natural stress defense and moisture barrier for your skin. It protects the skin's immune defenses.
- Emblica fruit extract has intense natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and is a natural skin brightener.
- Green tea extract is a natural antioxidant.
- Spherical silica is added to this formula to assist in smooth application. Titanium dioxide and iron oxides are in minute amounts as part of the coloration of the formula. This product has a translucent, neutral tone that when applied, will meld into most skintones. It is a close match for the shade called "Clear" in an alternate brand's night time treatment.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
PRODUCT REVIEW: Aromaleigh Nocturne Overnight Mineral Treatment
(photograph from Aromaleigh.com)
A few years ago, Bare Escentuals came out with their breakthrough RareMinerals nighttime mineral treatment to much fanfare. For those who don't know, this is a mineral "treatment" to be applied before bed - a powder that looks suspiciously like mineral foundation that is meant to clear up skin, smooth it out, balance it, and even reduce fine lines. I wondered about it - after all, wasn't it kind of like taking all of your makeup off and then putting some makeup BACK ON, then sleeping in it? While I know mineral makeup is "sleepable" I still found the concept pretty weird, yet I also found it very intriguing. However, I was not so intrigued that I was ready to pay over $60 for the stuff.
Then, with another purchase at Sephora.com, I was given the opportunity to try a "deluxe sample" of RareMinerals - it was a cute, self-contained little puff with about a week's worth of product in it. It was almost too cute to use, but I kept using that thing until it was dry despite the fact that it kind of made my skin itch and I even got a few hives (that's not that unusual for me though, as I have a condition called dermatographism that causes random bouts of those). The thing was, it really did sort of balance out my combination skin, and it seemed to smooth out the skin's surface as well. I was impressed, but still not impressed enough to plop down the cash.
Fast forward a few years, when I made the fortuitous discovery called Aromaleigh. In the midst of my fantastical color-buying frenzy, I noted that AL made their own version of BE's RareMinerals called Nocturne that doesn't contain many of the ingredients BE products do. According to Aromaleigh.com, Nocturne contains the following:
I also noted that Nocturne was about 1/3 the price of RareMinerals, so I decided to give it a shot.
That was four months ago, and I haven't gone a night without my Nocturne since then. This stuff is, in a word, unbelieveable. It has balanced out my complexion better than the RareMinerals did. And until Nocturne, I had not been able to find anything to prevent the breakouts I got like clockwork across my chin each month... now, I have had just one small zit on my chin in four months, and it healed up in two days, unlike the previous nasties that would last four or even more. And I do see improvement in skin texture as well - most definitely more youthful!
This is definitely an option to try if you suffer from any of these troubles. I highly recommend putting on a thin layer with a flocked sponge after allowing your normal night moisturizer absorb each evening to wake up to calmer, prettier skin.
Nocturne is available at Aromaleigh.com for $28.00 per 14 gram (0.5 oz) jar, or for $31.00 if you would like to get a flocked sponge with it for application (I recommend that too - the sponge is amazing). Samples are available for $2.60 so you can try before you buy - the sample contains enough product to use for a week or two, so you'll definitely have time to decide if Nocturne is right for you!